MAGIC HOUSE

I live in a Magic House.  The term was first coined when I was explaining the benefits of a wireless router to a a semi-interested party.  I am not the best person to be leading a technical discussion, but I can make up some good analogies on the fly.  In my explanation of the Magic House I was coming up with pretty good arguments in favor of having wi-fi in one's house.  In fact, as I was convincing the rest of the family, I was getting kind of jealous that they were all going to be so modern and high-tech.  It was about five months later when I brought an iPad home and realized that indeed, my house was magic.  I had wi-fi and did not even know it.  That is what a tekkie I am.

The term Magic House has a broader meaning for me these days.  You, Devoted Reader, know how I am lacking in the housework department.  There is something deeply satisfactory about programming my dishwasher to turn on in the middle of the night.  I go to bed with dirty dishes and wake up with clean dishes.  I do not have to listen to the gurgle of the dishwasher, nor do I have to vie for the hot water.  I do not even have to wash the dishes!  It is Pure Magic. 

Equally magical is the ability to program the oven to come on at a certain time and at a particular temperature.  Girl8 was thrilled to come home to a baked potato on several soccer game nights.  I was delighted to have prepared a spud without officially being at home.  It is akin to dumping bits and bobs in the crock pot and coming home to a full meal deal.

The crock pot cannot be ignored in this salute to modern technology.  Chopping a few onions and peppers in the morning and dumping in some frozen chicken and salsa pays off in spades when a person comes home to the wonderful aroma of dinner.  Not any dinner, but a spread comparable to having a cook from a foreign land working all day in the kitchen.

Coming home to a dark house is no treat.  Coming home to a house with lit candles in the window is nothing less than, well, homey.  It is as if a little butler scurried around the house in preparation for my arrival.  In these modern times, there are battery operated, fake candles that will come on automatically.  They are made of wax and they are even scented. Amazing!  Additionally, my house will be lit up like a church the next time the power goes out.  Magic!

Now, if the woodbox could fill itself, that would be Ultimate Magic.


1 comment: