Mastering the Situation

I am not a friend to all animals, like someone else in my family.  His nickname really is "Friend to All Animals".  If you're in the family, you'll know who I mean.  He is quite modest, so he won't want to be mentioned by his real name.  I am not sure how he would have handled the unwanted hitch-hiker, but I will tell you how I Mastered the Situation.

Girl8 (you may know her as the Band Aid Nazi) and I were headed up to Seattle for some school-is-out kind of fun, as well as pre-birthday sort of fun.  You know the kind I mean:  The Space Needle, the Science Center, the Monorail, the food, the Space Needle.  It is 80 miles of singing, talking, playing I Spy, and more singing.  Our song of choice right now is I'll Be Loving You Always, which has been done by George Michael and also Stevie Wonder, but we like an acapella group called the Euphorics.

We were driving around the Science Center, looking for a parking spot when It Happened.  A mouse popped up from under the hood of my car!  It came out right under the windshield wiper and looked at me.  I suppose I squealed something cliche, like, "eek!  A MOUSE!" and then I turned on the windshield wiper, trying to prevent it from running back under the hood.  I was hoping that I would flick it right into the street, but it ran up the windshield on to the roof.  I pulled in to a NO PARKING ANY TIME spot.  Girl8 and I looked around, our heads spinning like tops.  I was afraid the mouse had snuck back into a hiding spot, but Girl8 spotted him through the moon roof.  I jumped out of the car.  Running around the car in circles, chasing that mouse reminded me of the defensive drills we used to do in basketball.  I shuffled to the right, then back to the left.  I clapped my hands and shouted when the mouse got near the opening under the hood.  There was a string of cars stopped in the street, the passengers had their faces pressed to the windows.

"Find me a stick!", I shouted at Girl8.  I was hoping for that ice scraper that had been sitting on the floor for the past eight months.  Ironically we had cleaned out the car that morning.  There was no stick to be found, so she picked up a floppy pencil.  From my vantage point it looked like she was waving a green piece of licorice.  No weapon with which to flick the mouse off the car, I took off my shoe.

Pause for a moment, Dear Reader.  Mentally transport yourself to that city street.  The day is overcast, not particularly warm, but not raining.  You are driving along, minding your own business when you come upon a car on the side of the street.  A woman is running around and around the car, darting hither and thither, waving her shoe in one hand.  A mouse is racing back and forth across the top of her car.  A child is inside the car, screeching.  Imagine what that would look like and enjoy that thought for a moment.

Back to me and my predicament.  The window of opportunity presented itself and I whisked the mouse into the gutter.  The woman in the first car in the line of stopped cars applauded heartily.  I think I heard her shouting, "OLE!"  I took one more look toward the curb to make sure that the mouse was indeed on the ground and not back on the car, hopped into my shoe and skipped around to the door.  Jumping in, I put the car in gear and roared away.  That is what I call Mastering the Situation.

4 comments:

  1. While hard to choose, this is my favorite story so far. Laughed and laughed.....I could even hear you greeting the mouse as he popped up and peered at you through the windshield. You are so cool....if it were me.....focused on the mouse and pondering if my mind was playing tricks on me or not, I would have simply driven off the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I began giggling when I pictured what would have happened if the mouse had indeed been flung into the great beyond by your windshield wiper, but was in full laughing-by-myself-at-my-computer mode as the story unfolded. I also imagined the story from the mouse's perspective, and thought that it would make a great animated movie. Well done; had it been me, I would have Sloppily Handled the Situation by timidly throwing things at the mouse from a safe distance on the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to add that I did not look back triumphantly as I roared away. The next day, as we prepared for yet another road trip, I opened the door to the garage and hollered, "All Aboard!" in hopes of spiriting another rodent to a far-off destination.

    I am thrilled to make the Reader laugh out loud. My work here is done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you see if there was a nest of mice babies under your hood? Poor motherless mice! Truly, you are brave! Isn't it amazing she stayed with you the entire trip up there?!!

    ReplyDelete